Saturday, December 13, 2014

Hortus Botanicus: Amongst the Plants

After I left Holland Schouwburg with my head full of contemplation I stopped in the Hortus Bontanicus . Originally founded in 1638 to serve as a herb garden for the city’s doctors and pharmacists, it’s one of the oldest botanical gardens in the world It contains more than six thousand tropical and indigenous trees and plants. The monumental Palm House dates from 1912 and is renowned for its collection of cycads.

Unfortunately for me the weather had taken a turn for a worse but I still enjoyed wandering the gardens with my umbrella. What I also found fun was that the garden had theme routes to follow such as trees or the evolution route.














The fee to enter the garden is €8.00 for adults and I recommend checking the website here for their opening hours.

1 comment: