Sunday, April 26, 2015

Sunday Recap: April 26


On Thursday night I returned from my amazing trip to Lisbon. I left for Lisbon on Friday the 18th, arriving around midnight before catching the metro to my hostel. I stayed at Goodmorning Lisbon Hostel which was amazing with all of the activities it offered each night. They really made me feel welcome and I enjoyed my stay with them. I stayed in the four bedroom female dorm and there was a small balcony you could step out on and enjoy the view of Restauradores Square. The hostel was very accessible to all the main areas of Lisbon, the metro right in front of it and a short walk to Rossio train station to get to Sintra.

On my first morning, I took the metro over to the the flea market that happens at Campo de Santa Clara every Saturday and Tuesday. It is also known as the Feira da Ladra or Thieve's Market. I made sure to keep an eye on my belongings as I strolled through the market which was mostly people selling different things. Nothing caught by eye so I headed to explore Alfama a bit then took in a Sandeman's Free Walking Tour. The guide was really great so I joined him on his Alfama Tour and enjoyed it just as much.

On Sunday, I went to Sintra with We Hate Tourism Tours and visited the Monserrate Palace, Cabo de Roca and Cascais. 

Monday, I walked to Rato then to Marquês de Pombal to hunt for grafitti. Enjoying an amzing hot dog on Avenida da Liberdade. I went up the Santa Justa Lift and did a bit of shopping in 

Armazéns do Chiado. I rode Tram 28 around the city and explored the Prazeres Cemetary before having a bite to eat in the Estrela Gardens.


Tuesday, I ventured by tram to Belém where I visited the Tower, Padrão dos Descobrimentos (The Monument to the Discoveries), Jerónimos Monastery, Pastéis de Belém to try their famous custard tarts. I also went to the National Coach Museum before taking the bus back into the city centre. I enjoyed a delicious lunch at the Mercado da Ribeira then took in the Museu Nacional de Arte Antiga which had a wonderful collection of art.

Wednesday, I took the train back to Sintra, taking the bus up to the Pena Palace where I explored the grounds, went horse riding and got lost. Taking the bus down to Sintra, I enjoyed lunch at the famous Pastelaria Piriquita. I walked to Quinta da Regaleira, a beautiful estate which I happily explored. I walked back to Sintra, enjoying a delicious hamburger for dinner before taking the train back to Lisbon.

My last day Thursday, I had almost ran out of all my Euros. I used what I had left to buy my metro ticket to the airport to make sure I did not spend the money. I walked to Alfama and visited the Castle of Saint George, using my credit card to pay for it. The views from the castle were stunning and I enjoyed climbing the walls. Spending the last of my coins on an amazing gelato, I wandered back to my hostel. Picking up my bag and heading for the airport.

Now I'm home. Trying to work on more posts. I sadly have not done a lot on my Ireland trip and there are so many photos to share from that as well as Portugal. Please be patient with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment