Thursday, June 25, 2015

Mosteiro dos Jerónimos


While I enjoyed the amazing weather in Belém, I crossed the street from the Monument to the Discoveries and headed to the Jeronimos Monastery. The garden and fountains in front of it are quite lovely and you could even have a nice picnic lunch if you wanted to.




The exterior of the monastery is quite beautiful and I admired it while munching on the pastel de Belém. The crumbling pastry was very delicious and I think you should believe the hype on them and stop in for one. You  can get one to go or maybe a few. The place is also very large and you can sit down and enjoy your pastries with a coffee. I popped inside to use the toilets and the place fits a lot of people.




The Monastery is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and I highly recommend a visit. I used the combo ticket I purchased with the Torre Belém to skip the large queue that had grown outside of it when I arrived. The construction of the monastery and church began in 1501 and was completed a hundred years later in 1601. That means that the building is over 500 years old if you count from when it got papal permission in 1496 to be built.   My visit was very enjoyable and I loved the architecture of the monastery. 






No comments:

Post a Comment