Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Prazeres Cemetery


After my ride on Tram 28 came to a stop, I wandered into Prazeres Cemetery. This cemetery is the largest in Lisbon and was created in 1833 after an outbreak of a Cholera epidemic.  I walked into the cemetery unsure of what I would find. I have not been to too many and they are never something I actively seek out while travelling. As I moved down one section, looking in down row upon row of mausoleum I was amazed at the sheer size of it.

Each mausoleum had a door and some had glass. Peeking through certain doors I was able to see the coffins of the entombed. It gave me a bit of an eerie feeling as I walked around the Cemetery of Pleasures as Prazeres translates too. Of course the cemetery is named after the neighbourhood it is built in.











No comments:

Post a Comment