Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Strolling on Sunday, Copenhagen


On the Sunday that I was in Copenhagen I wanted to hit up the museums that would be closed on Monday and to see the Little Mermaid Statue. I wandered through the streets coming across Amalienborg Palace. The weather was lovely so I enjoyed strolling through the gardens near the palace before heading along the waterfront to seek out the Little Mermaid.  I found her but I'll save that for another post.





The Amalienborg Palace is the winter home of the Danish Royal Family. The palace was originally built for four noble families but when Christiansborg Palace burned on February 26 1794, the royal family bought the palaces and moved in.  Building on it started in 1750 and was completed in ten years in 1760.



The church above is Frederik's Church and is also known as the Marble Church and has the largest dome in Scandinavia. I ventured inside of it on Monday and the interior was very lovely. I sat in a pew and just took it all in.















No comments:

Post a Comment