Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Lisbon, how I love you.



Leaving Liverpool in the pouring rain and landing in Lisbon is the sunshine was a perfect start to the morning. The night before my flight I had tossed and turned struggling to sleep. The excitement of the start of my travels keeping me awake. After landing and passing through passport control I high tailed it towards the metro. Getting on after loading up my little metro "zap" card with a few rides. Transferring lines like a seasoned pro, I got off at Avenida metro stop and successfully found my little studio that I would be staying in for the next week. Let inside by my host Christina, I quickly dropped off my things and headed out to explore the city.



I had a bowl of cereal around 4:45 am and then munched on a few cookies during the plane ride but now it was 11:30 am and I was getting hungry for lunch. O Trevo, a little restaurant located at Praca Luis de Camoes, 48. This restaurant had been featutred on No Reservations with Anthony 
Bourdain and I never made it there there the last time I had been in Lisbon. I was a little unsure about 
the place as I arrived. The counter was full of people standing and eating. The table had lots of people 
sitting. Most of them looked like local Portuguese on their lunch break. I had heard that the Portuguese 
stand at the bar and drink or eat occasionally so I slid up to the counter in a small gap between two men
and managed to get my hands on a pork bifana and a small beer. The bifana was very good. I really 
enjoyed it and wanted to take a photo of it but didn't want to tug out my phone. So I just sipped my beer
and savoured my first bifana.




After my lovely sandwich it was time for a walk. I was not sure where I wanted to go but I ended up 
wandering through Chiado down to Praça do Comércio where I snapped a few photos of the waterfront. 
Unsure of my next destination or direction I found myself at Santini, not able to resist the red and white
gelato shop. I ordered a small cone of chocolate and milk caramel. It was heaven. 



With my gelato craving slightly in check I walked across towards the Castelo district and went into Pollux department store. Reaching the 9th floor you get a nice view. I ordered a small coffee and sipped it while taking in the view of Lisbon.


 My next walking route was to head up towards the castle but not go inside of it. I took a set of stairs that passed me along the Fado grafitti I enjoyed the last time I was in Lisbon. I think I went this route because Gelataria Portuguesa is by the castle and I just had to get another ice cream. The weather was so nice. I wasn't wearing a jacket or a coat. I popped inside and came out with a delicious cup of gelato.





I climbed higher to get a look at the viewpoints Lisbon had to offer. Stopping at Miradoura da Gracia and enjoying the view over the city. I managed to test out my cameras panoramic function. I am still learning on my new camera but I have been happy so far with it. I stopped inside the Igreja e Convento da Graça that is right next to the view point. It was very beautiful inside and got me exited for going to Italy.



Higher I climbed, my destination the highest view point in Lisbon the Miradouro da Senhora do Monte. It was crazy to look over beautiful Lisbon and made me question how I had managed to get around today. Felt like I had been all over.





Descending I headed to the Thieve's Market but found nothing there for me and moved on. Passing by the Church of São Vicente of Fora. I did not step inside but took in its beautiful facade in contrast to the blue sky. Continuing walking past some viewpoints of the river. Coming across the Lisbon Cathedral, I managed to capture some of Lisbon's trams. Looking forward to riding one of those soon.




Now food is everywhere in Lisbon and its generally quite good. I was not sure what I wanted but I wanted to sit down and rest my feet. I walked to the Mercado da Ribeira and got a large Super Bock beer and relaxed. I wasn't hungry at first but being surrounded by all the amazing restaurants the market has to offer I knew I would not last long. Going with an old favourite I ordered from Sea Me and got the Prego Arum sandwich which was so good. I am not sure what is in the bread and why it is that colour but I could eat that over and over again. Unfortunately it's price tag is a bit steep but with the rest of the days meals being a bit low, I felt I could splurge on the dinner.





Full of food I headed back along the waterfront to Praça do Comércio where I planned to climb Rua 
Augusta Arch which is the big arch in the second photo below. The sun was setting, it was getting a bit 
chillier but I was all smiles when I reached the top and got another beautiful view of Lisbon. I had been 
staring at this city from so many vantage points but I haven't gotten tired of the sight yet.








With the sun setting, I headed back to my little studio to get some rest. Goodnight Lisbon, I'll see what you throw my way tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. Lisbon is such an amazing city! So glad you loved it Paige! We are just itching to go back now! :-)

    Lloyd & Yaya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to come back but I am sure you will soon enough. :D

      Delete
  2. Very beautiful.
    Good vibes, Fox
    Check out my blog Wanderlife

    ReplyDelete